For many, the lazy days of summer mean enjoying the nice warm weather and relaxing with the kids before another year of school starts. For others it may mean that the routine schedule is thrown off and getting things done often goes by the wayside. Below are some tips that I have put into play to be able to enjoy the sunny days and still accomplish all (okay not all, but most) of the things I want and need to get done.
1. Create routines. Make a habit of keeping to some form of a schedule to get tasks accomplished, bills paid, e-mails sent and phone calls returned.
2. Get enough sleep. A proper nights rest can make all the difference when it comes to workplace productivity. To be at your days best, try to get the recommended seven to nine hours of sleep nightly.
3. Step away from the computer. Incoming emails can be a distraction. Make a habit to only check the inbox at certaintimes of the day to avoid getting sidetracked with requests and responses.
4. Make a to-do list. Create a realistic list of tasks that need to be accomplished daily. Write them in order of priority and chip away at them throughout the day.
5. Stay healthy. Health and productivity go hand in hand, so be sure to maintain good healthy habits to ensure you are taking necessary precautions when it comes to germs and sickness.
6. Keep a pen and pad onhand. Carrying a pen and pad can be useful when writing down thoughts and reminders as they come to mind.
7. Shut off social media. Social media can consume large chunks of time throughout your day. Avoid the temptation to check in, update your status or tweet throughout the day.
8. Don’t bounce around. Assign a portion of the day for one project, and once that time is up, move on to the next mission.
9. Look back. Schedule sometime every week to see what was accomplished and if that schedule needs tweaking for the following week.
10. Say no. Don’t stretch yourself too thin. Sometimes we overstretch ourselves because we don’t want to, or don’t know how to, say no. Empowering yourself by learning to say no can help keep you focused and avoid the feeling of being overwhelmed.
11. Take care of YOU. Carve out some quality YOU time to keep the balance between the world and what is most important to you.