February is Heart Month and all around the Y, we are raising awareness of heart related diseases and some habits to stay healthy. Today, we are excited to announce a new opportunity to give back to our community through the Hug A Heart program.
What is Hug A Heart?
Hug A Heart is a program where you can volunteer to sew a heart-shaped pillow that will be donated to cardiac patients at Ellis Medicine. These heart-shaped pillows are used to help ease pain and aide in post-surgery recovery.
Directions To Sew The Heart Pillow
- Use fabrics that are comforting to the touch – fleece, microfibers, flannels, 100% cottons or velvets. It should be washable at 40° C. Fabrics do not have to be the same. Play with some fun and cheerful combinations that are soft, feminine designs for women, or special designs for men.
- You will need two pieces of fabric about 16 x 20 inches (40 x 50 cm). Pin or trace the heart pattern on the fabric and cut. There is already a ½ inch (1.5 cm) seam allowance in the pattern.
- Place fabric right sides together and stitch all sides with the ½ inch (1.5 cm) seam allowance, leaving a 4 inch (10 cm) opening to turn.
- Clip excess fabric at corners and notch inside and outside curves.
- Turn pillow right side out.
- Press lightly, then stuff with fibrefill (about 170 grams).
- Stitch fabric opening closed by hand or machine.
- Place in a plastic bag, close with a pretty ribbon/card.
- Bring the completed pillow to your closest YMCA so we can deliver to Ellis Medicine.