Happy National Trail Mix Day!
Trail mix is such an easy, healthy, and high-energy snack, especially for those people who are always on the go.
Did you know that Trail mix is typically the ideal snack for hikers? From it’s lightweight, to the tasty combination of salty and sweet, trail mix is the perfect snack for a quick energy boost when going on a hike! And it’s easy to store, too!
There are different stories about who actually invented trail mix and when it was created. It’s said that trail mix had been eaten by Native Americans for thousands of years, though some say that it was first created in 1968 by two California surfers when they combined peanuts and raisins together for a snack to keep them energized while out on the water. Yet, trail mix is mentioned in a 1958 novel by Jack Kerouac called The Dharma Bums. So, who actually came up with the idea of trail mix? The world may never know.
There are a ton of different ways to make trail mix. Try out some of these awesome combinations to celebrate Trail Mix Day!
1. Simple and Sophisticated: Almonds, dried cherries, dark chocolate chips, sea salt, cinnamon.
2. Beachy: Macadamia nuts, white chocolate chips, dried pineapple, coconut flakes.
3. Power Mix: Goji berries, pistachios, dried blueberries, flax seeds, dark chocolate chips.
4. Rich and Creamy: Coconut flakes, white chocolate chips, hazelnuts, chocolate-covered coffee beans, cacao nibs.
5. Monkey Munch: Banana chips, peanuts, sea salt, almonds, dark chocolate chips, raisins, coconut flakes.
6. Deconstructed Puppy Chow: Almonds, whole-grain Chex or wheat cereal, dark chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, cacao nibs, dried cranberries.
Check out this website for more tasty and crazy trail mix combos!
Or, try and come up with your own combination for a tasty trail mix to enjoy today!
Who would’ve thought that the combination of nuts, raisins and chocolate would be so delicious and nutritious?