Greenpeace day sounds exactly like what its all about! The idea that our planet does not have infinite resources and we live in a precious ecosystem. The history behind this day is very interesting as well. The now internationally renowned Greenpeace campaign organization for ecological issues was originally founded by a group of 17 activists in Vancouver, Canada protesting against off shore nuclear testing in Alaska on this date in 1971. Greenpeace sees the Earth as a life-support system rather than resources to capitalize off of. We at the Y don’t take the planet we live on for granted. Here are some simple ideas you can do today to help out Mother Earth!
Easy Go-Green(er) tips!
- install CFL light bulbs in your house
- (if you can) walk or bike to where you need to go today
- shorten your shower-save water!
- buy local organic food
- stop buying bottled water and buy a water bottle with a filter to reuse!
- buy reusable shopping bags
- donate old electronics-don’t throw them away!
- borrow books more from libraries rather than buying them
- buy clothes that don’t need to be dry-cleaned
- buy in bulk-save more money and package the leftovers!